Tuesday, September 6, 2011

Too-Tight Pants

My pants are tight, much too tight,
And I can't imagine why. 
They dig in my waist, pull at the seams,
And they hurt across the thigh. 
They fit so tight around the legs,
I can't even bend my knees. 
They're short in length and in the stride,
And I hope I won't have to sneeze. 
I don't quite know what I shall do
If I have the urge to cough. 
I'm sure that all my seams will split,
And my pants will fall right off. 
They're far too tight around the back,
And the zipper will not zip. 
I'm having trouble breathing, too,
If I bend down from my hip. 
I can't help wondering just why
These pants are so very tight. 
  Surely a person cannot grow 
Too big for their pants overnight! 
  I notice my little brother 
Is looking downcast and grim. 
  It seems that he has problems, too. 
His pants are too big for him. 
© Joyce Broughton, 1990


Too-tight pants; photo by lengtarang on Photobucket

1 comment:

jean sampson said...

OMG, that photo looks like ME!

Well, Joyce, you KNOW this is one of my favorites and I think it is a favorite in the group. You do GREAT children's poems that the child in all of us loves! <3