Monday, February 13, 2012

Bears

This one I’ve never heard
but I remember the old mountain story
about the woman who is tricked
and hands her baby over the fence
to a bear, who she thinks is her husband…
and I have dreams about bears
they change into people and change back
I change into a bear and change back
I sit in a tree and sing to one
until fierceness turns docile
like a puppy
and, god, I miss those mountains
It’s a pain in my throat and the only place
that causes me to cry when I see it and when I don’t.

So we’re all kin and we’ve all married
our kin and we continue to find them,
we continue to look for their twinkling eyes
in the hills of every place.
One may come lumbering out of a cave
give itself shape apart from the trees
and look like me and feel like me
and like the polar bear be the loneliest
--that’s because he hasn’t got any mountains.

Why do I miss it? The thing I’ve never had?
It was a distant backdrop to my childhood dramas
but a visit is a visitation
the place where mist is at dawn
where I fished on the Shenandoah
where morning glories dot even the sun.
Stories of bears reside in my flesh
what is commonplace there
becomes extraordinary elsewhere.

Aunt Han Ran may have used a broom
to chase that bear off her back porch,
I’ll invite him in to sit by the fire
dust the snow from his fur
and ask for all the things he knows.
I’ll bid him stay till spring
he may tell me where the treasure is hid
or what enchantment he is in.

I am close in nature and nature
is close inside me. Woods and Mountains
become my house and call me.
If I don’t have you covering me
I dream of bears and an ancient wooden door
and my Daddy calls to tell me mountain lore.

© Linda Suddarth, 2001


"Bears" was published in Alchemy on Sunday, Lit. journal. 
pub. through Pacifica Grad.Institute, 2001

"Mosquito and Mishka"
from Wikimedia Commons

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I really do like this poem. There is mystery and nature and magic. And bears are my power animals, too. I have always dreamed of them and they are very important dreams!

Tony Russell said...

A wonderful poem. Linda merges dream, memory, and reflection in a way that reaches as deeply into the reader as Linda has reached into herself.