Monday, April 2, 2012

Detangler

She must like the closeness more than she fears the pain.
Asks me to brush her hair, then perches on my lap.
Wincing and writhing, no matter how gentle I am,
she's jerking whimpering stomping clutching her head,
but letting me work the tangles out, submitting
to my assistance. I know how much that galls her;
a price almost too dear for my strong girl to pay.
Soon the balance will tip and she'll take on her own tangles,
and push me away, and that will be that.
I won't be invited to help with her snarls, her rat's nests,
and she'll live with things on her head that she can't smooth over
or pick through. I am confident she'll figure them out without suffering.
She's too efficient to carry those dreadful burdens far.
Every day I practice being softer, undetectable,
and hope she'll ask again tomorrow.
© Laura Seale, 2012

"Tangles" ~ photo by Tony Russell  

1 comment:

jean sampson said...

Love this! I remember my mother trying to get the tangles out of my long, fine hair and it seemed to take hours!
Love the photo, too!