Tuesday, February 19, 2013

Just Call Me Lazarus


A people born wearing their funeral clothes,
we don't even know there's a stone. We sit in our grave, 
dirty feet, dirty cave, and trace patterns into 
the ground. The sweat of our brow drips in rivulets;
a salt-imbued lie of release. A taste of the sea, 
of a river, a spring, of a well we're too haughty to drink. 
We think we're so rich in our tatters. We think 
we're so bright in the dark. We think we are kings
in our coffins and schemes like this is the best that
we are. Like there isn't a voice small inside us. 
Like there isn't a breath in our lungs. Like there 
isn't a world waiting just out that door if we'd
only stand up and explore. Like there isn't a man
calling out to us. Like we don't hear our name in a
prayer. Like we don't see the stone for the lid 
it's become on the room we see fit to call home. 

I no longer choose to abide this. I no longer want to
subside. I want to be strong and impassioned and 
torn by the wind and His name and the horn. I
want to be fashioned for battle. I want to wear
armor and light. I want to sing hours and hours on
end with no ceasing in day or in night. I want to
feel roads underneath me. I want to drip words
from my tongue. I am done with the silence, the darkness,
the violence, that my evil days often had sung.
I no longer revel in drunkenness. In sculpting my
face to a norm. In starving and fighting, in lying
and hiding, in valuing how I perform. We need to 
rely on the 'other'. That power found outside our own.
I need to escape, to find spirit, take shape- this 
tomb is no longer my home. I will resurrect. 

          © Sarah Fletcher, 2013

The Resurrection of Lazarus
St. Paulinus in Welling
from Wikimedia Commons

1 comment:

Brenda Beazley said...

I really love this poem... I cannot explain how or why it touches me so, except that not least of why could be how sweetly it flows... I come back to it again and again, so lovely it is...