Monday, July 29, 2013

I'm Too Young to Write a Poem


It would be offensive to write on singleness. 
I haven't learned to love the early quiet
in decades of mornings spent alone 
scrambling eggs and memorizing the
murmur of a waking apartment complex.

I can't write on the lifespan of a tragedy.
How an abandoned dream seeps into your
bones slowly like sun stroking furniture
into fade. How a death feels first like an
amputation. In time, an empty pocket.

I'm of an age where girls cry more at movies
than any true heartbreak & our parents 
are still middle aged & we've only known
two generations of family pets & boys
have been playmates longer than potentials.

I'm not even qualified to write on faith;
strong in the the theory of it, still stumbling
into practice. What do I know of dying
daily when I've just learned what death is? 
What have I sacrificed when I own nothing?

I'm too young to write a poem. 
         I'm still young enough to want to.

© Sarah Fletcher, 2013

"Getting Ready for the Movie"
Photo by Belinda Hankins Miller
from Wikimedia Images

2 comments:

jean sampson said...

Well, this poet is not too young to use incredible images in her poem! I love this!

Unknown said...

Ah, I like this a lot. The last line is perfect.