Monday, September 9, 2013

Because


I ask myself why do I smile? …
Because I can
Because I have teeth
Because I have straight teeth
Because I want to
Because it feels good
Because people smile back
Because people need to see light in this world
Because I have love to share and compassion in my heart
Because I have a family and friends

I smile because people need to know it still exists
Because of every beginning and every end
Because I have food and clean water
Because of laughter and wonder
Because I haven’t been scarred enough not to
Because I can go to college
Because I can speak my opinion
Because I know sadness and pain just like everyone else—no one is truly alone
Because I’m not afraid to
Because I’m still here
Because I can walk

I smile because blue and yellow make green
Because I can speak without words
Because it encourages positive energy
Because I have two cats that love me
Because I have warm blankets to hold me
Because I have a mother and sister who are still here with me
Because I have hope for this world
Because there still is hope for this world
Because I have seen kindness from strangers
Because strangers become friends
Because I can read

I smile because I love myself—even my faults
Because my short comings turn into learning experiences
Because I can express myself
Because I have good eyesight
Because I can listen to music
Because I love Mother Nature and the beauty of her creations
Because humans are capable of loving and crying, of happiness and sadness
Because I have a bed to sleep in
Because I have a house to shelter me and a home to care for
Because I have clothes and shoes to keep me dry when it rains and warm when it snows
Because I have enough money to live

I smile because of mourning doves and morning dew on morning glories
Because it’s sunny outside
Because it’s raining like cats and dogs
Because I love to smile
Because of the comfort a hug brings
Because of friendship’s warm embrace
Because of wooden ships on salty seas
Because of laughter in a child’s eyes
Because hardships can be blessings in disguise
Because of the simple beauty of a snowflake
Because my life is mine to make
Because I can dance to the drum of my beating heart
Because of the yellow dandelions and meadow larks
Because I am here for a reason
Because I have heard love’s encouraging song
Because two rights might make a wrong

I smile because I am a Leader of Light, a Believer in Love, a Follower of Change, and a Dreamer of Peace
Because of the delicate dance of butterflies
Because of red stars, rainbows, and bow ties
Because there is truth in silence and in serving others
Because there is healing in sharing and understanding
Because of the pain that comes with learning life’s lessons
Because every season change and every sunny rain are one of the same
Because tears bring raindrops of forgiveness
Because without darkness there is no light
Because with knowledge comes understanding and change
Because I hope you will smile too

© Flora Lark Baily, 2013

Dancing butterflies
Photo by Tony Russell

2 comments:

jean said...

There is a whole philosophy of living in this poem! I would have loved to have been there to hear the performance! :)

Diane said...

Flora, I loved it when you performed this poem. It is so vibrant and positive with its repetition and imagery. It makes me smile!