Friday, February 14, 2014

Love Poem


I.

When asked if I have a date
for Valentine’s Day, I say
Yes--February 14th.

II.

It’s Go Ahead And Buy Myself The Freaking Chocolate Day
and I’m celebrating this one.
Don’t you just love those chalky hearts
with flirty witticisms
stamped on them like red badges?
“Be mine”--
for an imperative mood;
“Love Bug”--
insect or influenza, it’s unclear;
“U R a 10”--
apt apex of numerical affirmation;
“Hug Me”--
No;
“Let’s kiss”--
well, that’s one remedy for boredom;
“Page me”--
leftover box from 1996?

III.

The candles are lit--
O sanguine celebration
of sweatpants and zinfandel,
Godiva and Netflix, here’s to you.
Chet Baker is crooning
Your looks are laughable
Unphotographable
and in this untamable afro,
these coke-bottled spectacles
and plushy red bathrobe,
who am I to disagree?

© Natasha Oladokun, 2014

Butterfly Valentine, circa 1940 - 1950
Wikimedia Commons

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wonderful poet and poem! Happy V. Day...

jean said...

Love this peom! Happy Valentine's Day, ya'll!

Susan S said...

I love it! You're great Natasha!

Anonymous said...

witty and magical Natasha knows language is real and poetry can be funny yet sing

Anonymous said...

witty and magical Natasha knows language is real and poetry can be funny yet sing

Anonymous said...

I enjoy your intellectual spins into funny everyday corners. Patsy