Monday, June 16, 2014

There's some sort of anthropomorphism in there...       upon his diagnosis


There were sunflowers in my mailbox
after work today, and no don't go there.
There is no lover with gumption enough. 

Rather, they were packed in a cardboard
box and shipped the breadth of a country
which is 15,840,000 times laid cut to bloom. 

You aren't supposed to send flowers
until the loved one is gone, and I 
wonder if she knows something I don't

but I free them anyway. Yellow-
tipped and new and never for scent
but for a straight back and bold smile.

So there they sit in 7 o'clock light
with cut cords, better for both our breathing.
I set them in water and wait and

watch (want) for them to stretch
their limbs a little because nothing with so
much life in it should be put in a wooden box

so soon. 

© Sarah Fletcher, 2014

Three Sunflowers in the field
Photo by 3268zauber
from Wikimedia Commons





1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Love this, especially the ending line! Bill V.