Monday, October 6, 2014

Standing Proud

There are times when you drive 
a square peg into a round hole,
as a trunnel fastens
post to beam, but today it’s round into round,
and when I’m done, the pine panel
will hold fast to the frame
for a lifetime or more.

I touch the protruding head 
with a calloused thumb,
finding it stands just a little proud.
With a scrap of sandpaper
I smooth it and touch again,
all the time thinking of Dad’s words
as we sawed and hammered 
at something long-forgotten:
“It’s the proud nail that gets driven down.”

Another lesson from that country poet
that even now shapes what goes upon this page:

words that as I trim and sand these lines
remind me that brilliant phrases are given us, 
that what I leave behind is more debt than gift.


© David Black, 2014

Mid-19th C. post & beam barn with pegged joints
Whidbey Island, Washington
Photo by Anne E. Kidd for the National Park Servise

1 comment:

jean said...

OMG this poem is SO RICH! I love the last line!