Sunday, March 22, 2015

Chair

You used to believe in me. 

There were moments 
When nothing mattered 
Except for the goodness you saw 
And in my potential 

You thought 
That your vision 
(the good things in me) 
Would hum under the weight 
Of heavy sands 
Of coarse papers 

So 
You stripped away 
Parts of me. 
Cleaned off the broken fragments 
Of leaded, toxic paint 
Old and shredded greens 

Revealing 
An essence I hadn’t been forced to face 
Since I was made by the hand 
Of my creator 

It was too much 
For either of us to see 

So you put me away 
In the dark side of storage 
And forgot about me. 

Here and there 
Glimmers of what might 
Have been 
Would tumble through your waking dreams 
(…solid brass screws over a humming and honed pecan stain) 

But those too 
Were gone. 
And on 
You moved to the next thing. 

Until 
There were no more excuses 
No more places to hide 
Or reasons why 
It couldn’t be 

Dusted me off 
Placed in a sea 
Of light 
And mightily 
Worked again to smooth out the rough lumps 
The inconsistencies 
You once saw as “character” 

You made me hum 
Like the object you had envisioned 
When you first picked me up 
And bought me for less than I was asked for 

But it wasn’t enough 
And your work 
While visible 
Has left me as nothing more 
Than an object 
Sitting beneath the table 
Of imaginary maps 

Waiting to be used 
And to have my value seen 
Like you did before 

© Fergus W. Clare, 2014

    All Rights Reserved

Tutankhamun's Chair, Ancient Egypt, 13th C. BC
Photo by Jon Bodsworth
Wikimedia Commons from the Egypt Archive website
Cairo Museum

No comments: