Monday, June 8, 2015

Old Appliances

Once upon a time,
When I was very young,
I looked upon my avocado colored appliances
   with joyful pride.
My shiny refrigerator, so "avante garde,"
Brightening my kitchen with a light
That reflected on to the same color oven door
Where I baked the children's cookies.

But moving took me away from the kitchen set,
Gave me instead an old Sub Zero that smiled 
With its gleeful huge wood-paneled door.
And though quite old,
It happily substituted for the shiny avocado one,
Doing its job while plodding away for 20 years and more
As I refused to part with
One who had morphed into
An old friend,  
Reliably ready when the children
Reached inside for their after school snack
Of milk and cookies.

Gone are those days of dependably seeing the children.
Fragmented memories remain,
Like those of the old Sub Zero,
Replaced now with jet black GE's,
A matching set taking on the role,
No children's fingerprints to mar their glaze.
They stand alone… waiting. 


© Shelly Sitzer, 2015

"Landscape with Refrigerators"
Painting by Kida Kinjiro
from Wikimedia Commons

2 comments:

jean said...

I enjoyed this poem a lot.

Anonymous said...

A sweet expression of how our lives are framed by objects, tools and rituals (snacks for the kids, finger marks on our memory) until old time passes into future, calling us to reframe our context of now.