Tuesday, December 29, 2015

Hiking to the Holy Place

Every fern unfurling
Each tiny aster bursting
all the way up 
to the ridge
Says I give it all again
just like last year
says here, take, eat
Feast on this life.

We don’t care if you ride 
the Harleys roaring 
in that wolfpack way 
to the next bar
We don’t care if you drive
tricked out tractors 
hauling trailers 
of what we cannot
wait for one more day
We don’t care if you drink
too much bet 
too much
on the wrong horse
groan all night in your bed.

We don’t care from where
your many greeds arise.
We just keep on giving.

Sitting by the stone altar
I made, the right
crystals in all the right 
quarters wanting only
to protect this valley
I hail all my relations
and do not care
if I am finding
the right words
I am finding
these words.

© Bill Prindle, 2015

Fern unfurling
Photo by Tony Russell

1 comment:

jean said...

What a beautiful poem. Gives me another perspective entirely! Nature just keeps on giving no matter what and we can praise as we will----or not. Thank you for a lovely poem.