Wednesday, September 14, 2016

Back in the Day

Back in the day  
before the ravages of time and injuries settled into joints
I could squat – 
but I can’t bend those knees that much anymore!
Back in the day
I could have run this 5 K race with you -
or at least most of it!
Back in the day
before the crow’s feet of time
etched a road map on my face,
I could look in the mirror
and see smooth skin, 
and bright eyes
which could read tiny print -
but are now clouded 
with the beginning of cataracts.
Back in the day
before organs sagged and excess weight crept on,
I could travel without a suitcase of supplements and
other personal necessities –
but I am grateful it is not medicines or medical paraphernalia!
And I plan to keep it that way!
I would instantly take back my youth – but only if I could
keep the experience and wisdom I have gained with time!

© Beverly Diane Harner, 2012

York River 5K Race during Estuaries Day 2015
Photos by Jon T. & John G.
from Wikimedia Commons 

1 comment:

jean said...

My thoughts exactly, Diane! :)