Sunday, January 1, 2017

Butterfly and Flower

Butterfly loves Flower; Flower doesn’t love back.

B: They say be like the flower is:
aloof… but I need the sweetness 
over and over.
I can’t stay away 
or stop the sipping.
I am never full.

F: I cannot be the butterfly 
who insatiably worships.
I open. I give.
That’s enough for me. 
Drained, I fade inward,
notice the fullness.

Butterfly is fed; Flower is fertilized.

B: In the night I cling to tree bark,
dreaming of colors, 
sugar on my tongue
over and over.
Dreams are not enough 
and I am empty. 

F: In the night, I close. It’s peaceful.
I think I’ll not open again 
to make sweet pretense
for needy tongues.
I fill myself up
and I am changing. 


© Laura Seale, 2016

Monarch butterfly with Milkweed
Photo by Tony Russell

2 comments:

jean said...

Beautiful! I love how the poem folds back into itself like the flower.

Anonymous said...

Love the layers of this.

Bill V.