Monday, August 14, 2017

The Warrior (or After Surgery)

Reluctantly, I force myself
to stand before the mirror,
stripped of all artifice,
naked except for earrings.

Reminded of a warrior after many battles,
I note the scar stretching 
from sternum to armpit,
fading now but marking
where once there was a breast.

I feel unbalanced, bereft,
but then I see the head,
eyes watchful,
able to enjoy color and form;
ears, somewhat large,
but able to hear bird-song and blues,
Beethoven and Brahms;
mouth, lopsided and quizzical,
but able to converse 
and even sing a bit.

The top of the skull
is covered by wispy, graying hair.
Within it is a brain
with thoughts and emotions, 
and most of all
the ability to enjoy,
to appreciate, and to love.

So I honor the gift of my Maker,
who made me in Her image,
and the gift of time
to enjoy Her creation a little longer.


© Peg Latham,  1993

Mrs. Prince, after surgical removal of a breast
Watercolor of a woman operated on for breast cancer, 1841
from Wikimedia Commons
via Wellcome Images

1 comment:

Brenda Beazley said...

What an absolutely beautiful and so very powerful poem.