Wednesday, September 20, 2017

Weeds Don’t Cry

Weeds don’t cry.
They stand stalwart 
in fields of corn,
in precise gardens of boxwood and lavender,
in chummy closeness with thyme and sage.
Then someone will shout:
“Pull up those damn weeds,”
and hands of all ages 
will strain against the  strength 
of those orphans of wildness and 
pull, pull, pull, 
or put foot to spade and
slice down to clear the root. 

In my salad days,
I pulled up sheaves of five foot tall
lamb's quarters to feed the breeder pigs. 
Lamb’s quarters, dandelion, amaranth, clover -
they grew between the crops and the rocks,
nourishing the pigs till the corn came in.

Someone once told me
that I was a weed - 
resilient, strong, able to flourish
in adverse conditions.
And I carried that thought 
throughout my life,
and felt proud ….
For when someone tells you that,
you never forget it. 

After years of garden work,
here’s how I feel about weeds:
I love them.
Kneeling in the middle
of  my tomato plants, 
I am contemplative and peaceful
as my reedy hands pull and pull and pull,
piling up the weeds of my past,
each a remembrance, 
an homage to enduring.


© Evie Safran, 2017

Men with picks and hoes clearing weeds in a field
Pullenvale, 1889
Photo held by John Oxley Library, State Library of Queensland
Photo from Wikimedia Commons

2 comments:

Brenda Beazley said...

What a lovely poem... My most peaceful moments in the garden are the time I spend pulling weeds...

Gerry Sackett said...

I too have felt as if I was a weed.
Out of place in the main stream , but more authentic than my cultured cousins....I love weeds, and have dinner on them to my benefit.
Very nice poem!