Monday, December 25, 2017

Christmas in My Heart

for Scott Coskie, a talented theater director who 
loved Christmas and everything Disney

Defying December winds
one blustery day,
we happily strung Christmas lights
across your front yard.

Dressed in Disney ornaments
your tree, glistening through the window
as inside, tinseled shelves of snowy cotton
set a stage for village life.

Within my mind, there still exists
a dancing Pinocchio,
the gift your heart couldn't help but crave
one Christmas long ago.

Watercolor memories,
abstracted and blurred,
melding Christmas past into Christmas present,
alive and aglow,
bringing you back each year 
as angelic characters fill my ears
and Christmas comes to my heart!


© Shelly Sitzer, 2017

Pinocchio and Cantinflas marionettes
at the National Puppet Museum
in Huamantla, Tlaxcala, Mexico
by Alejandro Linares Garcia
from Wikimedia Commons


1 comment:

gerryrigs@gmail.com said...

I like this poem a Lot! It has a sweet and innocent expression of how light Christmas can be.
My wife Vidya also relished the fun of making such display, and it was a communion we enjoyed together. Thank you!