Monday, January 22, 2018

Writing on the Wall

Trace chalk dust memorializes
my childhood blackboard. Washable, 

no-muss markers replace broken 
crayons in tin cans in my old 

Chicago brick school house.
Capital and lower-case cursive 

letters on my elementary class 
walls pushed penmanship, no 

longer required by tech teaching 
and digitized communication.

I input my password on today’s
screen to catch news bytes, poke

family and friends, travel to virtual 
Ireland, and print anything – guns to 

gowns, from my 3D printer. The only
scene that hasn’t changed since 

I was a Windy City school girl is 
the news – Russian-American tension, 

Arab-Israeli conflict, world hunger, 
end-of-the-world pollution. Will there

be an app developed to fix 
the human condition?



© Patsy Asunción, 2018

Abandoned school in New Orleans
Photo by Tiffany Bailey
from Wikimedia Commons




No comments: