Monday, March 26, 2018

Complementary

For those who stop themselves

I am afraid to share my voice but you love to sing.
From now, when I am beside you,
may your glad singing always override my inhibitions.
May you remember to look at me directly 
and sing loudly with no thought to my shyness.
May your voice, which soothes me in plain speech,
in singing wrap around me and pull out my smile, 
a hum, so maybe someday my song will rush out to meet yours.

You avoid moving to music but I love to dance.
From now, when you are beside me,
may my sway and stomp always override your embarrassment.
May I remember to look at you directly 
and dance freely with no thought to your shyness.
May my feet, which walk comfortably beside yours,
step joyfully around you and pull out your smile, 
a bounce, so maybe someday your dance will rush out to meet mine.


© Laura Seale, 2017

Couple dancing, Peru
Library of Congress
from Wikimedia Commons

1 comment:

jean said...

Delightful poem!