Tuesday, May 1, 2018

Momma Ain't Happy

Momma ain't happy,
ain't nobody happy ‘less momma happy,
and momma ain't happy ‘less her people happy.

That toddler won't stop fittin'.
That girl just feelin' bad all the time, the doctor don't know.
And that “I-ain’t-nothin’-special-ain’t-gonna-go-to-any-good- college-like-my-friends” teenager!

Good Lord,
that baby gotta grow up be ok don’t get its own way,
that girl gotta get off the sofa, get out and live in the big world;
that almost-man need to know know know 
that come college acceptance day, he is special, 
no matter what those letters say.
And this momma gotta sleep at 4 am, letting her "I-don't-know- I -can't-do" go, 
and her babies gonna be your babies, she your baby, and you gonna heal us all up.

God, I got some ideas on the potty training, 
put up your stuff after playing, 
no cussing saying; 
no guarantee, but I got some ideas.

But the miracle-working, 
self-controlling, body-healing, spirit-loving, 
I don't know know know.
So you gotta do do do for me and my people, 
cause God you know, 
ain't nobody happy less momma happy, 
and momma ain't happy ‘less her people, your people, happy. 

Heal us all up, God, 
heal us all up.


© Rie Harris, 2018

Allie Mae Burroughs
Photo by Walker Evans, 1936



2 comments:

jean said...

Thia poem and its music, just picked me up, took me on a little journey into Momma's world and left in a wonderful place with the last several line :)

girlinthemiddle said...

This poem is a little bit of healing us up! Thanks!