Monday, April 1, 2019

Won’t You Stay

If you please won’t you stay dear lady,
And for you, I will sing this song
Cannot say the words will come easy
They’ve been hiding deep inside for far too long

I was once young and full of promise
But I’m not what I used to be
Too many tears have washed away my footprints
And I cannot find the way back home you see

Look at all the stars beyond my dusty windows wheeling
How beautiful they are as they go drifting on their way
To heaven or to hell, to sunlight or to dark unfeeling
Wish I knew….   Lady, won’t you stay?


© George Phillips, 2019

Van Gogh's Starry Night on the Rhone, 1888
from the Musée d'Orsay

2 comments:

jean said...

Lovely----should be put to music.

shelly sitzer said...

Thanks for the poem and art, enjoyed both.
April 2, 2019 at 6 35PM