Monday, January 17, 2011

If Martin Was Here

If Martin was alive,
I wonder what he would say.
Would he cry out with deep sadness,
Or would he shout with deep concern?
Martin, what would you say about this world?
Would you be angry with what we have done,
Or would you be angry with what we have not done?
Would you say we have not heard your words?
What would you tell us we need to do?
Would it be the war or poverty or homelessness?
Would it be violence or education or hatred?
Would you tell us we need to reach out and touch each other
And share our concerns with love and compassion?
How would you feel about the racism that still exists,
And how many people walk the streets
With no place to lay their heads?
How would you feel about our sending more troops
When we should not have sent any at all?
How would you feel about the violence
That perpetuates each day on the streets
With no regard for the blessing of life?
Martin, if only you were alive today.
Could you tell us what we need to do,
And where we need to reach out
And help to hold our children with care
To guide them to reach higher heights?
Oh!  How I wish I cold ask you what we need to do
And where our hearts need to be?
Oh!  How I wish you could tell us how to help
Our fellow man/woman to find warmth and comfort in this life?
But I can’t ask you.
And so, I must find my own answers,
So I can reach out to change this world
To bring about peace and contentment.
I need to stand up and ask for help
So that we can all work together
To try and solve some of these ills.
Please, Martin, keep on inspiring me
So I can reach out and help all I can
And ask for others to help me along the way
So I must know I must never give up!!!!
© Hilda Ward, 2011

Martin Luther King; photo by Flip Schulke/Corbis in Time Photos


No comments: