Monday, May 23, 2011

Turtles at Sanibel

Nothing startled me awake tonight, no dream 
or other need.  
I simply opened my eyes. 
I could just make out the abandon of clothes 
in a bank on the floor, 
palm-held glasses on the bedside table, 
dark wine barely touched, 
the whirr of fan, a sound of surf just beyond 
the sliding screen door.
Lying here, I think of the beach 
as it is right now.
There is peace in the roll of water, 
the ruffle of sea grass in the wind,
a scattering of unbroken shells on the beach,
and the scuttle of hatchlings towards ebb tide 
finding haven on tiny rafts of algae 
that will carry them away 
like refugees clinging to the dark.    
© Susan Muse, 2011  

At the beach; photo by Tony Russell

1 comment:

jean sampson said...

This is a lovely, evocative poem. The last stanza is wonderful, with beautiful images and mystery.