Monday, January 26, 2015

Caught

I am not alone here.
Fragments of unwritten poems
drift before me,
ghosts begging for language
to give them form.

Some try on tattered clichés,
parade by me like orphans
in worn out hand-me-downs,
hoping for pity.

This task seems
harder than clothing smoke,
tethering clouds to trees
or giving the evening breeze a face.

I should refuse,
tell them to haunt someone else,
these waifs who taunt me
like hungry cats.
Too late. I am caught in their familiar trap.

They believe I can conjure breath from stone,
can weave gold thread from milkweed fluff,
see the moon in my left eye,
the sun in my right,
hold fire in my bare hands
if the stars allow.
They compel me to dress them
in words spun from imagination and luck.

Finally, I have to let go,
trust that I have given enough.
They are, after all, wild spirits
who, century after century,
find poets who will weave words
into any form they desire.


© Jean Sampson

Milkweed fluff
Photo by Tony Russell

2 comments:

Diane said...

Oh,Jean! Your Imagery and use of Words - so rich! Glad you were able to clothe that smoke!

Anonymous said...

Really enjoyed this beautiful poem especially since, as a poet myself, I could relate to the collage of thoughts and feelings that bombard my mind just before the poem goes on paper.

Shelly Sitzer