Wednesday, August 26, 2015

Dog

When lonely, his whimper
sparks across the dark
gap where the heartbeat's born
like a wolf howling
a bridge of sorrow
to the moon.

Once I left him too long.
He dug a hole so deep
it became a throat
that swallowed night.
I climbed down to get him out,
saw stars shining overhead
at noon.

If I forget to feed him,
he nibbles 
crumbs from my childhood,
that place swept
and left  long ago.

When I dream
he runs, leash-free,
returns to lick my hand.
One night
I will follow him
to the river,
step into a weathered boat
floating on the cold fire
of captured stars,
then walk with him
into his world.


© Jean Sampson, 2015


Canis Major among the Myth Constellations
from the Universe Today website



5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Love this poem. Just the right amount of other worldliness...

Bill V.

Fergus W. Clare said...

This is an amazing, beautiful and heartfelt poem. One of my new favorites. Such clarity of imagery, depth of simple yet profound emotion. I'm a fan :)

-Fergus

Diane H. said...

Jean, tears to the eyes and goose bumps on the arms! Great imagery! You are a wonderful poet - when is your book coming out??

jean said...

Thank you all SO MUCH! <3 <3 <3

Anonymous said...

So lovely Jean, thank you!