Tuesday, November 13, 2018

I am what I am (Je suis comme je suis)

I am what I am.
This is how I was made.
Yes, I laugh out loud
When I feel like laughing.
I love the one who loves me.
Am I to blame
That it is not the same one
Whom I love each time?
I am what I am.
This is how I was made.
What else do you want,
What is it you want me to be?
I was made to please.
There is nothing I could do.
My heels are too high,
My spine is so arched,
My breasts are so firm,
And my eyes are so rounded.
And then -
What's it all to you?
I am what I am,
I please the one who likes me.
What happened to me -
What's it all to you?
Yes, I loved someone.
Yes, that one loved me.
Like children who love each other,
Just knowing how to love,
Love, love …
Why do you question me?
Here I am to please you,
And there is nothing I could do.

                                      by Jacques Prévert;
                                           translation by Leo Gornik,  © 2018

"Flirtation 2," by Frédéric Soulacroix
from Wikimedia Commons

No comments: