Thursday, December 31, 2020

Songwriter’s Lament

The least of me is always on the outside.

My dull side always faces to the sun.

The finest thoughts are hidden in the shadow,

the tenderest moments somehow never sung.


Try as I may to face and force the issue

and show the world the contours of my mind,

the subtleties are faded in translation.

The meanings are misplaced by word and rhyme.


Maybe in our unheard conversations

we’ve found the answer we sought all along.

The price to pay for being fully human

is that we’ll never write the perfect song.


I guess it shows.


© George Phillips, 1973


Famous American Songs
by Gustav Koppé
in Cornell University Library
from Wikimedia Commons


5 comments:

jean said...

This is exactly how it is to write anything or to draw or paint. But we gotta keep on writing and all of the other creative stuff because we just have to :) :)
He was a really good writer, it seems! A very sad loss indeed.

Helen Kanevsky said...

George didn’t have a strong voice when I got to know him. However, his poems were strong,honest, humorous, and persuasive. He was an exceptional human being and a real poet.

Leo G said...

George’s poems as I remember them sparkled with humor and precise observations.

listeningmoth said...

I heard George’s voice when I read this. ❤️ I’m glad I had the chance to learn it.

childrens author said...


shelly said:


Excellent poetry! I really enjoyed it. It touched me!