Tuesday, August 27, 2019

My Rebeccas

In my youth there was Rebecca standing on a hill of snow.
Other boys fought for attention but her smile was just for me.
The frozen city was our playground.
Our exploits were the stuff of legend,
Until our friendship faded into time.

In my teens there was Rebecca reading poetry in class.
She was kind to me when others found it amusing to be cruel.
We would talk until the break of dawn
And exchange desires and secrets,
Until our romance faded into time.

Away at school there was Rebecca studying rare works of art.
Wild, intense, and passionate and interested in me.
Our days were filled with ecstasy.
At night we dreamt about the future,
Until our liaison faded into time.

In my middle years there was Rebecca working in a crowded office.
Her energy and beauty sliced through monotony with ease.
We were partners, friends, and lovers
Fusing intimacy and insight,
Until our marriage faded into time.

In the end there was Rebecca living with me in a home.
All her trials and tribulations made her as strong as she was wise.
We laughed and cried through all our stories
And cherished moments spent together,
Until we both faded into time.


© Ben Siegan, 2019