Tuesday, August 6, 2019

The Gloves

I am a frustrated compulsive shopper.
Without regard for the announced Christmas sale,
I buy a pile of colorful gloves to soothe myself.

Gray woolen gloves,
blue dress gloves,
green leather gloves,
red rubber gloves,
clear surgical gloves,
white wedding gloves,
and a couple of mittens.

I lost my gray gloves in my American history class, 
when I grasped that Cherokee has not always been a brand name,
but women and children sent away in winter with their bare hands.

I lost my blue dress gloves when my boyfriend married my best friend.
They honeymooned in Paris and adopted an abandoned child.

I lost my green leather gloves in a hospice
where my dying father told me that he didn’t love me.

I lost my red rubber gloves in my new boyfriend’s kitchen
when it became clear that he treasured me as a cook.

I lost my clear surgical gloves in the operating room 
when I decided to stop hurting dogs.

I kept my white wedding gloves 
because my granddaughter loves to play with them,
and I gave her the mittens to keep her hands warm
because this is the only thing 
I can do to make her happy on this cold day.


© Helen Kanevsky, 2018

ANTORINI luxury gloves,
from Wikimedia Commons

2 comments:

jean said...

Amazing conntecting of the gloves with life events. Brava!

William Vollrath said...

Wonderful and powerful...